Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

THE ITALIAN JOB : Honest tips and views of TEFL teaching abroad

So TEFL teaching.
This is me. I'm not teaching in a Ramones T-shirt but off out that night to a gig!

I decided to do TEFL teaching back in April following a disaster of a break up. I wanted to do something different and see something of the world. I wasn't sure that it would work out or if I could do it.  The only way to do find this out is to bite the bullet and go for it though.

When I first started, TEFL blogs talking about nerves, discipline, grammar, games and other things were a god send for me. I was so nervous and home sick that it was a huge help to find that others went through it as well. I was lucky that one of my best friends is also a TEFL-er and abroad so I had experienced help too. I also work with a lovely school that are supportive as well and that makes a massive difference.

I decided to share my experiences on here because since I started the blog in 2008, I have consistently  blogged about the weird experiences and things I get up to. This has included interning, writing, radio, my MA, my PhD, graduations and now this. I want to help anyone else thinking about it, doing it or starting out in TEFL like the blogs helped me.


Thinking about teaching? Here are some of things I found.

1 - You will be nervous and this will fade.
This was a massive one for me. I was terrified. I would dread the start of classes thinking, what if something goes wrong? What if they hate me? What if I hate it? While these are all valid fears, take into consideration that it takes time to relax. You will be nervous and not understand everything immediately. Telling someone to relax is pointless. I would read blogs about first time teacher nerves where people down the line said, oh it gets easier. I would think, will this ever happen for me? It does and it has. Don't fear classes or students. Honestly, once you get to know them then you can have great fun but this comes with time and not forcing it. They will warm to you. I played a lot of games, had a lot of informal chats and also made fun of myself for a few weeks before they got into it. Also, if in doubt, chocolate helps massively. All kids like games, art and messing so don't be afraid to be silly. They love it. Telling them stuff about you helps too. I have a group of children who love the fact that I'm Irish and want to know more about Ireland. It's a great way of getting them to relax if they know your fun and not strict.

2 - Think closer to home for the first time.
I was all about the idea of Korea for months as I studied. I came so close to being accepted for teaching in South Korea when my application was rejected for being late. I been approached too late by a TEFL recruiter and therefore didn't get it. I was so upset. However,  it turned out to be for the best as I think I would have lost my mind in Korea. I have times here where I would kill to hear a little English but ultimately, I know that I can reach my family easily if something were to go wrong. Which, when your new to teaching is a massive thing. You want to feel safe and as if you have back up. As a new teacher in a new job, new school, new country speaking a new language, it is going to feel scary and you'll want to feel like giving up. I think going a bit closer to home for the first few jobs is not a bad idea. I'm happy in Italy and I genuinely think I would have come home if I had been in Korea.

3 - Accept that there are more factors then you in the classroom.
It took me a long time to realise that a bad lesson or something that doesn't work is not always your fault. By this I mean, if something doesn't work (for example, a game backfires) then it is not immediately your fault. There is you and there are the students. Sometimes a student has a bad day and brings the energy into class. Sometimes you bring home life into the classroom. Realising that you cannot predict what is going to happen is actually liberating and part of lesson planning. You just have to think on your feet to correct it and correct it fast. I would beat myself up for days thinking about something that didn't work or a child didn't feel like doing art. I would think, is it me?  Sometimes yes but sometimes no. You just have to assess the situation, save it, turn it into something that does work. You learn after a while what works and what doesn't work with certain students. I have some that are more lively so games work and others that are quieter so doing a bit of art works for them. Its part of getting to know your students.

4 - Download every app for free communication that you can
Your friends and family are going to be your lifeline while you are away. You need them. So get ready to spend hours on skype. I get up early and stay late some days in the school just to talk to people from back home. I am constantly excited to as well. I have friends who write to me, Facebook me, skype me and email me silly things. A card in English can make the world of difference on a shitty Wednesday when you are abroad in a strange place. So get every possible app for it and talk to your friends. I find that people have been really supportive and in touch constantly since I've been gone. Its the only thing that gets you through the darker weeks where you would kill to have a conversation and a wine in English.

5 - Accept that you will be/might be lonely
I spend a lot of time by myself. I find a lot of my fellow TEFL teacher friends say the same thing. In smaller schools where there may not be as many or any other English teachers, you can be lonely. It's difficult to meet people when you are the only person who speaks English. I find that I'm grand with it. I am quite a quiet person and I don't mind doing movies and Facebook chat some nights. I do go out and have a wander occasionally but most of the time I am alone. This might not be your experience at all. I didn't realise how not speaking the language cuts you off from others until my parents arrived and felt isolated. I hadn't noticed. I just get on with it. I speak to enough of my friends from back home to feel as if I have spoken English for a bit. This is why I recommend that skype is a great thing to have downloaded before you get here. Blogging also helps because you get all the English thoughts out of your head.

6 - Get a hobby
I decided to fill a hard drive with music and films before I got here. This was to help me incase I needed back up entertainment and films to watch at night. I didn't know if anywhere had English cinema (no) and English books (also no) in Foligno. Turns out I was right. This took a few months to do but has been a god send. I also took up knitting when I got here and thanks to being obsessive, I don't notice the evenings go. It gives me something to do and also, keeps my mind off cigarettes as I am only just approaching my year mark. It also allows you to talk to others as well. I chat to other knitting people on twitter during the day about my progress and several of my friends are interested in my project too. I'm planning on 20 panels - I have 8 so far. Once I have 20 then I can stop! But I also plan on taking painting back up again in the summer when I get sick of knitting. I would seriously suggest starting a small project, it keeps you sane

7 - Be open to all the new things
This job doesn't work if you do not want to try new things. I am obsessed with trying different foods and cultures so this is one of the perks for me. It's natural to miss things from home (I find myself craving Bulmers and Tayto) but you have to be open minded. There are going to be weird things like giant frozen squids in the supermarkets or strange smelling things but its part of the charm of places. While I must admit I got off easy in that the culture shock wasn't too bad in that I only went to Italy. I have been here before so its not too odd but still. Get out, get trying and get exploring. It's the only way to see the culture.

8 -  Learn stuff about where you are going before you go.
Learn useful phrases in whatever language that you can. Dave's ESL Cafe is a good place to scour for signs, tips or tricks that TEFL-ers in that area have learned before you. You will see a lot of bad on those forums though. A warning! But yeah, do your homework on the area, language, customs and traditions of the place. There are different cultural norms which make the world of difference when your there. Something that can be seen as normal in our country can be totally different and offensive in another. So it's worthwhile learning ahead of time what to do. You'll learn on the visit but it still make it so much easier if you know the basics.
This is me at work as a make up artist. Yes, I went to work with cat ears and blue everywhere!

9 - Accept that your image may have to change.
Anyone who knows me knows that I was a stone cold mental dresser before I started teaching. I had grey hair which I wore in a variety of weird hair styles. I had piercings and also plans for more tattoos. I also had plugs in a size ten. I had to accept that while make up artist accepted me with open arms - teaching did not. I took out my plugs (they shrink SO fast), took out my lip ring, got my septum fitted so I can hide it, dyed my hair a normal colour and invested in a normal wardrobe. Apart from the weekends when I have my septum down, you would never guess I was me. In fact, I think a few people were freaked out initially when the normal wardrobe happened. I must admit that going home this week and seeing all my lovely freak fashions of ripped, studded and fringed fabrics has made me very happy. However, I am very happy to not have to worry  about the upkeep on the day's neon blue eyeshadow or lipstick.

I hope this makes it easier on anyone who is trying to decide if TEFL is for them or not. Honestly, I say go for it. It's one of those things that you won't know unless you try it but it is great fun. I've genuinely enjoyed it so far!

If you do decide to go for it. Drop us a line on twitter here and let us know where and how you got on. I'd love to know more TEFL teachers across the world. Remember this is pretty new for me too!


*Incase anyone is wondering, the photos are a combination of shots from Rome, Foligno and Gubbio in Italy. Apart from the shot of me with the cat ears. That was taken in Nottingham! hahaha

Post a Comment

0 Comments