Here’s some comfort food for those of us who grew up in the 50’s and 60’s…tomato soup – we always had it with grilled cheese sandwiches at our mother’s table. This recipe, from the "Taste of Home Soups” soft cover cook book 2014, is so simple and good it’s amazing!
I used home-canned whole tomatoes I cut up a little, and the flavor was great. You don’t have to puree, and with no other thickening, it’s gluten-free as well. The goodness of the tomatoes shines through with the very simple seasoning. I used a little less milk the second time I made this so it tasted more of the tomatoes, and we really enjoyed it with a small salad and grilled cheese sandwiches, of course.
Old Fashioned Tomato Soup
14 ½ ounces Diced Tomato -- undrained
½ teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
Salt and Pepper -- to taste
1 Quart Milk
2 tablespoons Butter
Fresh Parsley -- minced
In a large saucepan, bring tomatoes to a boil. Add baking soda, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; add the milk and butter. Heat through, but do not boil.
1 pint of home canned or freshly stewed tomatoes with liquid can be substituted for the purchased canned tomatoes.
6 Servings
Yield: "1 ½ quarts"
Per Serving: 148 Calories; 9g Fat (56.0% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 315mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


0 Comments